Forsyth Park has been called the Crown Jewel of Savannah. Established in 1841, it is one of the oldest municipal parks in the country, even older than Central Park in New York. Trustees Garden Club has a long history of participation in the Park’s beautification.
In 2012, The Trustees' Garden Club restored the Fragrant Garden and have taken responsibility for its ongoing maintenance in partnership with the City of Savannah. Other contributions include the landscaping of the playground areas and funding the addition of brick walkways and benches in the area of the two forts.
In 2015, in order to protect and preserve this priceless asset for generations to come, Trustees’ Garden Club in partnership with the City of Savannah has undertaken a multi-year project to develop a Stewardship Plan for the park and is also managing the process of applying to the National Park Service for recognition of the park as a National Historic Landmark. We’re calling this effort the Forsyth Park Project. The expense of the project will be paid for in full by Trustees’ Garden Club along with the generous support of civic partners.
The Forsyth Park Project is dedicated to keeping the citizens of Savannah informed about the Forsyth Park Project, the goals of which are to develop a Master Plan for Forsyth Park and to secure recognition of its historic significance. Just as Forsyth Park belongs to everyone in Savannah, the project is committed to providing opportunities for all interested citizens to participate.